Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What I Mean by Livin' the Dream

Well, I'm proud to say that this is my first and humble attempt to do something computerish all by myself. Ever since I was in Mr. Romrell's computer class in high school and got a "D" in it, then a few years later my brothers were practically teaching the class, I have known that I'm a little slow in this sort of stuff. But, through trial and error and lots of extra time that probably didn't need to be spent (I'm sure there are shortcuts out there...) I've gotten a little better over the years. So I thought it was time to try to share more of our family (and not just hog the Bratsman blog) through this one. I am SO missing all of our family all over the country and maybe this will help us feel a little closer. I'm so thankful for technology and the way it can make all of our lives a little easier to share.

So anyways, I hope no one feels obligated to view this or anything, but a lot goes on in our lives and I'm hoping a lot will be on here for anyone interested.




That brings me to my title-"Livin' the Dream." As I was thinking of if I wanted to put on a "subtitle", I tried to come up with one for the Ballard family way of life. I don't know--"crazy"? "chaotic"? "exhausting most days"?! But then I thought about how when I was little, I used to dream of being a wife and a mom, making dinner, taking care of kids, greeting my husband when he came home from work, making our house a home... And then several years later when that future husband of mine was absent for two years, and how I used to really dream about those same things, only in more detail and more realistically as I collected things I'd need for my future family and prepared to be a wife and mom since I was pretty darn sure the absent man was the one I wanted to do all those things with.






So, it kind of hit me that I now am living those dreams that I used to daydream and long for. Sure, I never ever would have guessed Dan would be returning from the same place my mom greeted my dad from each night for all those years...and those "5 or 6" kids I thought about have turned into 7 or 8, but all in all, the wonderful, happy things that I used to dream about have come true and do every day. I just have to look past the list of endless things that need done that I never get close to accomplishing, the screaming six year old that will hopefully one day know his mom loves him, the frustrating ups and downs with a sweet little "foster boy" who feels nothing like a "foster boy" but like any of my other children, the nights I'm worn out and the mornings when I'd rather sleep in.... You can probably all relate!



But, all it takes is to stop for a minute and really listen when one of my kids is showing me the super hard math test they got 86 on, or read an email from my changing-in-ways-I-never-imagined son in Brazil, or watch my buff 16 year old son having a blast with all five little siblings on the tramp, or go on a quiet date with my sweet husband of 20 years, and it all comes rushing back that I absolutely LOVE what I'm doing!! It really is a dream come true and I only hope that I'm becoming all that I'm supposed to through all this crazy and wonderful everyday life.
I hope you enjoy sharing the wonderful and most likely chaotic times with us!






4 comments:

Sherry Bratsman said...

Thank you for starting a more comprehensive blog just when we are missing our kids so much we can hardly go on! We love any tidbit we get from any of our family and each one makes us more grateful for such an awesome posterity!

And by the way, while you are livin the dream, know that you are one of five children who made our dreams come true in every way. And now to have 17 1/2 grandchildren following in their parents great examples, ours is one sweet dream!!

Lindsay said...

Wendi- This is great! I'm so happy that you've made this your own little project and proved your computer skills! I'm very excited to see all that gets posted. You are already a shining example to me....so when I think things are getting hard with baby #1, I'll read about how it could be! (And know that it's all going to be worth it!!!) Love you!

Unknown said...

Win, you did a great job, I sure love you!

Scott said...

You're such a good writer Wendi! This is gonna be fun (to read)!